Oftentimes, employees who are being taken advantage of or mistreated at work stay – not because they want to, but because they are afraid they have no other options. This does not have to be the case.  In California, employment laws protect you, the employee.

Employers frequently commit unlawful actions that wrongfully place employees in a disadvantage. Examples of illegal workplace behavior in California include:

·      Harassment, discrimination, or retaliation by your employer

·      Unlawful termination of employment

·      Being forced to sign an agreement waiving your rights to wages you have earned

·      Not being provided with a leave of absence as required by law

·      Not being provide with a reasonable accommodation for a disability

This list is not exhaustive. If you believe that your rights are being infringed upon, you will want to speak with an experienced employment attorney.

Why Hire a Lawyer?

If you believe you were fired for an illegal reason or otherwise mistreated at work, you’re probably wondering whether it’s worth it to file a claim. No doubt, you have a lot of other questions as well. A skilled employment lawyer can discuss your legal rights and potential for financial compensation based on the facts of your case. The right lawyer will also know any deadlines for filing a claim.

Generally speaking, for many California employment law matters, an employee must first file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or other governmental agency before pursuing a case in court. To learn more about the statute of limitations in employment law claims, click here.

The right attorney can help direct you to next steps, file the complaint with the appropriate agency, explain any time limits in which the claim must be filed, and assist with other factors related to the claim; such as whether to attend mediation or wait for a jury trial. Once an attorney agrees to represent you, they should help you put together strong evidence, negotiate with your employer, and fight for your maximum compensation.

Next Steps

The reality is that in most situations, to fully enforce state and federal laws protecting you against illegal actions by you employers, you will want the knowledge and guidance of an experienced employment attorney. For a free, no obligation consultation with our employment attorneys, contact LOEAB Law today.